metro mama

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Shopping Maniac

Cakes likes to choose her own clothing now, especially when it comes to shoes and hats. This would be charming, except for one thing: she has hideous taste.

I never used to bring her shopping, but after twice buying shoes and having to return them because they didn’t fit, I’ve resigned myself to having to bring her with me, at least when she requires new footwear. Our shopping expeditions are becoming more and more stressful.

This week she needed new running shoes. We go to Winners, which Cakes just loves. Since she won’t stay in her stroller, I set her loose and she makes a beeline for the shoe section. This girl LOVES her shoes. When she gets to the shoe isle, her eyes widen, she starts to salivate and before I know it she has kicked off her sandals and slid on some sparkly purple espadrilles, ladies size 8. She clomps along happily, and I coax her to the children’s aisle. While I look for cute sneakers that aren’t pink she finds some orange sequinned sandals with which she replaces the espadrilles and is ready to head for the clothing section (she knows the routine).

“Cakes, we’re not buying those. You need running shoes. Please, try these, they’re cute.”

“Nooooo, buddy!”

“Honey, please”, beseechingly.

[Emphatic shaking of head, followed by stomping off towards the clothing aisle.]

McHotty and I wrestle her to the ground (yes, it takes two of us to buy our daughter shoes) remove the tacky sandals and try on the cute sneakers. Thank god they fit.

We head for the clothing, and on the way Cakes snatches a Barbie suitcase. Fine. I let her run up and down the aisle with it while I look for pyjamas for fall. In the space of three minutes, she manages to snatch a white cowboy hat and a giant Bugs Bunny (why does she gravitate towards brands when she doesn’t even watch any TV?) Next thing you know, she’ll want a fucking Dora backpack.

More than ready to leave by now, I head for the checkout, first having to wrestle away suitcase and rabbit. I was going to give in and buy her the cowboy hat, but the ever sensible McHotty distracted her with a cracker and we were able to dump it before we reached the cashier.

Do you take your kids shopping? Any tips for me?



As you can see, her mother shares her tacky taste in footwear.

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger karengreeners said...

I think you have most of the important stuff down - bring backup, snacks and lots of patience.

We always do well for shoes at winners as well.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

That is just so adoreable. I love those little boots.

I don't really have advice for you. Sorry. I just go to Target (one place with everything) and when Seth was Cake's age, I'd feed him dum-dum suckers. SO he'd sit in the cart, suck on a sucker and we'd go from there. Or I'd just go alone and make a few trips back and forth if I had to return stuff.

Does that help? Sorry...

3:31 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

I just don't take her, to be honest. I'd rather run back and forth a few times than take a kid shopping on the subway! She chooses from the stuff she has, and I get her a decent selection. I often shop at Winners, though the Shoe company has been successful, too, for shoes. She once had a fantastic pair from H&M.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

sometimes if i am feeling generous of spirit. last time we ended up w/ a princess nightgown and princess big girl undies. and i have NO idea how that happened b/c i am anti-the-princess. but i think it's good for them to feel they have a choice, to do something like this w/ mom.

ps. we have those boots too.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Tania said...

I never take Pumpkin shopping with me. Too stressful!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am sooooo lucky Declan could give a fig about his clothing. He rarely comes shopping with me, or if he *is* there, he barely has an opinion. Some days he may want to wear a particular shirt, but it's sooo easy. This is one fight we have totally sidestepped.

So far.

6:52 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

valium.

with a wine chaser.

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate taking Cordy clothes shopping. Not because she likes clothes, but because she has no interest in it, finds it boring, and then screams her fool head off.

Thankfully, at home I can dress her in whatever I want, because again, she has no interest in clothing.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

I almost never take the Boy, because he either likes nothing or EVERYTHING. I just buy what I like, and take it home and make a big deal out of it. Although, some clothes never get worn, because I do let him choose from what I've bought. (Let's hope that I have another boy so that he can wear all the unworn clothing...)

10:30 PM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

The day my daughter asks for a Dora backpack, I'm selling her to the gypsies.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always made them hold my hand.. That kept them near.. And they were not allowed to touch anything, and I mean anything..some days it worked, some it didn't:)

1:48 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I'm with Crazymumma. She's got it down to a science. LOL!

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i DO NOT take my kids shopping. under any circumstances :)

4:11 PM  
Blogger em v said...

You are a brave woman: these days I've been using a lot of beseeching Pleeeeeeases just to get E dressed in clothes so we can leave the house, nevermind go shopping. I haven't seriously shopped with him in months because he won't stay in the stroller (snacks last about 2 min) and he can get away pretty fast while I'm looking at things. My strategy for shoes is to leave him with my husband and go myself, and if I see Shoes With Potential, I either buy two pairs and just take the one that doesn't fit back, or I make the best guess and buy one but make sure I can take it back. Definitely not the most efficient system, I admit.

4:27 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

Snacks are essential.

I never have any luck with shoes at winners. I have bought my girl the same shoes in each size for a year and a half just because I knew they would fit. Whenever I try new shoes I have trouble.

5:05 PM  
Blogger 11111111 said...

I think my daughter has the same boots.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Karla Zamora, Digital Analyst said...

I never take my daughter shopping for clothing or shoes, I learned the hard way that it is just toooo stressful.

She is very much like Cakes (hates the stroller) and so for this reason I just avoid it.

7:43 PM  
Blogger NotSoSage said...

Mine doesn't care much about clothes, but shoes! SHOES! I think it was her first word. She's obsessed. Luckily, she's not that picky about the shoes themselves, so long as she has LOTS and LOTS of pairs.

I love that photo of Cakes.

8:38 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

glad to know it's not just us wrestling with a two year old in the kids shoe department

those boots were made for walkin'
very cute

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.