metro mama

Friday, August 24, 2007

What I've Been Up To

I have been trying to make the most of these last weeks of summer and the wee hiatus in my studies to catch up on some fun. I had a decadent day on Tuesday: shopping for fall clothes in Yorkville (don’t get excited—I didn’t make it past the Jacob basement), lunch with a friend, and a Harry Potter matinee. I liked The Order of the Phoenix. Ralph Fiennes is a very scary Voldemort, despite the overdone face, Helena Bonham Carter is wicked as Bellatrix Lestrange, and Imelda Staunton is sickeningly sinister as the ultimate evil bureaucrat, Delores Umbridge. I liked how they handled the climax, sparing us the sentimentality I loathe so much.

Yesterday we made the trip to my hometown to visit the folks. Cakes loves visiting her grandparents now, it’s so sweet to see her getting excited when we tell her she’s going. They all spoil her rotten too. My mom had some of her favourite foods: watermelon, chocolate cake, smoothies. We learned that Cakes’ language “delay” is all an act. She was outside on the deck and overheard my mother ask if I wanted some cake. This child of nouns, babble, and grunts piped up right away, clear as a bell, “I want cake too”. She just needs a little motivation.

My father is spoiling her too. Her favourite animal now is the donkey and he actually managed to find her a stuffed donkey that sings “Who Put the Bomp” (seriously—and we had to listen to the fucking thing the whole ride home).

As usual, I managed to forget to pack a few things. We went to do the last diaper change before we left for home and guess what I didn’t pack enough of. Yep, I had to MacGyver a diaper out of a maxi pad and a swim diaper. Seriously.

Blogging will be sporadic for the next week or so. Sunday we’re off to Kingston for a few days. Then McHotty’s parents are coming here, and we’re heading to North Bay by ourselves for a few days. I plan to laze around, drink beer and read the new Harry Potter (finally!)

How are you spending the last days of summer?

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Run ANC said...

Great picture of Cakes!

We're off to the Ex on Friday, and a lot of time is going to be spent transforming the middle bedroom into a Big Boy's Room. Not too summery but it has to be done.

When you're back, why don't we hang out?

2:50 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Leave it to cake to bring out the words for Cakes. Cake, Cakes. See? It's all in the name. ;)

I'm spending the last few days of summer enjoying my time with Julia (or, trying to, LOL) because she's starting JK FULL DAYS on the 4th! *sob*

3:18 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Bwaha! Okay, you did NOT mention the diaper thing, which is pretty funny.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Beck said...

We're going to a country fair! Isn't that fun? Yes it is.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

Her hair! To die for! And her sweet little watermelon juiced face. Awwww.

We spent our last week of summer in the hospital. Blech. BubTar starts Kinder on Monday and summer is over.

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're having a wonderful time! You can't go wrong with watermelon, chocolate, and smoothies! LOL what Cake said :)

4:21 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

I'm not ready for summer to be over yet. I'm going to try to make the most of what's left and laze around as much as possible. Enjoy your travels!

I heart the cake request from Cakes!

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww...she's getting curls like Cordy. Beautiful!

We're doing nothing special. Just trying to stay cool right now, while I try to pass my summer class.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

Sounds like you're jamming in some fun stuff!

9:39 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

See? Now you're speaking her language ;)

9:40 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

See? Now you're speaking her language ;)

9:40 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

i want some cake too.
And in-laws like yours
oh and to go to the island. We tried to go last month and it rained.

11:32 AM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

sadly...we won't be in the Bay with you.....tilt a glass for me will you?

but we will be having city adventures.

and trying NOT to eat cake.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

i so love naked watermelon eating.

my summer hasn't really felt like a summer, so there is no real ending either.

shame on me.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, we hope to get to the ex tomorrow, and possibly have a bbq for friends on the weekend. Other then that? I'm getting ready to go back to work on Tuesday. BOO!!

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.