metro mama

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Books for Him

I’ve called this list “books for him” for the sake of symmetry, but these are my personal favourites, so obviously they’re a great choice for the ladies too.


The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Cormac McCarthy is my favourite male author, and this is one of his most accessible books. In spare, vivid prose he paints a bleak picture of the human condition, yet affirms the tenacity of love between parent and child.

I’m so disappointed the movie release has been delayed. Viggo is brilliant casting, no?

Read my review here.








The Best Laid Plans by Terry Fallis

The is a fresh and funny political satire, with an interesting back-story. Terry Fallis first released the book for free as a podcast. Then he self-published—and won the Stephen Leacock award for humour! Now M&S has published his book. This is a great read, and the author couldn’t be more lovely.









The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson

Speaking of lovely authors, Andrew Davidson is another one. I know you’re sick of me talking about this book, but I just want to give it one last plug. I think the cover might turn off the guys, but they definitely should give it a shot.

Read my review here.







Want more ideas? I haven’t read these ones, but I’m bringing ‘em home for the men in my life:

Don Cherry’s Hockey Stories and Stuff

John Lennon: The Life

The Montreal Canadiens

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Bill Bryson's A Walk In The Woods would be added to my list of Books For Men. It is hysterical.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Barrie said...

I am so getting The Best Laid Plans.

4:19 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

I actually don't know that many guys that would read The Gargoyle, but I can tell you that my copy is already on it's third female reader, with number four anxiously waiting for number three to finish!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Amy Urquhart said...

I considered the John Lennon book today for my Dad, but didn't actually buy it. Maybe for his birthday in January, though. I wish Graham was more of a reader, I see books I think he'd like all the time!

9:59 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

thanks for the tips. I am trying to get through The Road now, but it is so bleak I am having trouble. I like that cover though.

I think the Gargoyle is a gorgeous christmas gift.

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.