metro mama

Sunday, January 21, 2007

A Dozen Firefighters and a Chocolate Fountain

That is not just my sexual fantasy (you’re welcome to use it by the way), it was the scene at my place last night. We had BP’s crew and their better halves over for cocktails and my neighbour lent us her chocolate fountain for the occasion. They’re a great group of people. Funny though, they are not your stereotypical firefighters. At one point I observed several of the men sipping pomegranate martinis and admiring Cakes' photo calendar, while we women were drinking beers and talking about tattoos. A fine evening.

***

It’s been an unusually busy week.

Tuesday night I went out with the mums across the street. We had free tickets to the world premiere of the film Partition. It was the first time I’ve attended a premiere. It was an interesting experience. I was hungry though – I didn’t realize ahead of time, it was held at an auditorium not a theatre, so there was no popcorn or soda. All of the movie goers were most serious – no one got up during the film to go to the bathroom. I really had to go, but I held it because I didn’t want to be the only one going to the bathroom during the film. No one talked either, it was dead silent (that was nice).

“Whiskey before beer, have no fear; beer before whiskey, rather risky."

Christine came through town for one more night on her way back to London and we went carousing on College with a few of her friends. We went for dinner, then to Eat My Martini, where they have $5 dollar martinis on Wednesdays (including tax!). That is just too good a deal to pass up. The wise thing to do would have been to go home after the martinis, but no, we had to go for a pitcher. Needless to say, hump day was a bit of a bust this week. I was game when I got home, but as soon as I hit the sack, I became dizzy and started to drool a little and BP knew better than to even bother.

I had my class Thursday night. The Romantics aren’t my favourite, but I love this class anyway. The prof is wonderful and it is a spirited group of people. We were talking about Keats, but kept getting off-topic and also covered Barack Obama, sex, our own poetry, Oprah, more sex, theology. I will be sorry to see the end of this one.

So, tonight I rest. I plan to watch Desperate Housewives and eat leftover hors d' oeuvres. Maybe I’ll try to make up for Wednesday (there is leftover chocolate fountain...hmmm).

Labels:

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

your place sounds warm and cozy.

and i agree about screenings - a whole other vibe - i got to do that recently, and it was weirdly hushed. made me want to start cackling or something.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You always have parties, movies, martinis, with time for reading and ritual Wednesday fun and sometimes on Sundays too! Where can I sign up for your life?

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love classes like that - it's pretty rare for me to have a class that's willing to go off topic like that (it must be my repressive personality).

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chocolate fountain and firefighters sure got my attention :)

8:34 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

your social life rivals mine - when i was 20!

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Firefighters...chocolate...

Yum. Lucky you!!

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You night? Sounds like my kinda evening. Lucky duck!

2:43 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Huh, I know that rhyme as
Liquor before beer, all is clear; beer before liquor, never been sicker.


and, um, chocolate fountain? Yes, please! I don't even need the firefighters...

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, yum. A chocolate fountain. The only time I've seen one in action was at Costco recently -- gave the sample marshmellow dipped in chocolate to MF who gobbled it right up!

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chocolate fountain...AND firefighters?? Ahem. Yes, please!

Hey, my class is on Thursday nights too. Gothic Horror, of all things. I actually kind of like it but find it difficult to read 600 page books in one week. How do you do it?

4:47 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

nomotherearth: are you at York or U of T? My secret is having no cable.

something blue: I am making up for the year of misery that was our first year with Cakes!

5:35 PM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

chocolate fountains, parties with cute firemen, midweek martinis, interesting university classes AND sex at least once a week..are you sure you are the mother of a active toddler?
lucky gal.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a friend who's a firefighter, he likes "girlie" drinks too (fruity ones with umbrella's).

BTW- I want a chocolate fountain now, that would be perfect for breakfast.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh, I have been to Eat My Martini on a wednesday. Lets just say that I don't remember half the night, my husband was not impressed.

8:49 AM  
Blogger moplans said...

that is one hell of a fantasy life you are living
Is that ironic firemen looking at a calendar of a baby?

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.