metro mama

Monday, January 08, 2007

Pretend Play

It’s been fascinating to watch Cakes’ interests change over the months. At 12 months, she loved her books best – she would sit for great lengths of time, pointing and babbling. Once she started to walk, language took a backseat as she concentrated on her large motor skills – she conquered most of the equipment at the playground, including obstacles children twice her age couldn’t master. Now, her chief interest is pretend play. This is by far the most fun activity for me. She received a baby and stroller for Christmas and it makes me melt to see her feed and burp her baby. She’ll load Emma (yes, I named her) and Simon in the stroller and cover them tenderly before embarking on a stroll:



I can’t convince her Emma is not yet ready for Cheerios:



Her grandparents put her to work in the office when we visit:



My mother gave her a 70-piece set of dishes for Christmas. At first I was a little peeved (70 more things to pick up!) but I’m over it. Cakes and I have tea together. She hands me my dessert bowl and scoops ice-cream into it. She pours me a tea and adds milk. She just beams when I tell her how good it is. And then I beam inside.



***

I finally saw Little Miss Sunshine, which many bloggers have recommended. I agree - it was delightful.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does she have any plastic food yet? My daughter loves to make "soup" in a large plastic bowl and then serve it out in plates/bowls/whatever.

Love the cheerio picture.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Ah! Chicky does that as well. Her tea set and her babies are her most prized possessions. She and Cakes would throw fabulous parties together.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How sweet! I used to love pretend play. It was my favourite activity when I was small!
Helen

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute! Pretend play is fun, no? The Boy likes his little people (prefers the vintage ones, of course, like mummy), and makes them eat and drive cars and go to bed.

And, yes, we really should get together! Happy Birthday, if I forgot to say so earlier...

3:23 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

oh...isabella loves her some babies. she's constantly putting them to bed and feeding them and strolling them. although occasionally, i'll find her trying to stuff her giant-sized boday into the wee-sized baby stroller. hahahahaha!

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My boy has all kinds of little 'games' he makes up, too, and I just love to watch him!

Cakes is absolutely lovely!

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute! We watched Little Miss Sunshine the other night and LOVED it.

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Bumper and I play "Baby" all the time with her Buh-bee and stroller (and all the baby trappings: bottles, feeding stuff, bath stuff). It's so much fun (gah! did I just say that?). I can't wait for the tea parties. Great photos btw. And Little Miss Sunshine - wasn't the daughters pageant talent scene just perfection? Could it sum up the pageant industry any better? I think not. Brilliant I say.

8:16 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

Oh I love the pretend play. There is nothing better than fake scrambled eggs and tea. Now if my kid would just take some hints from her dolls on how to go to sleep life would be perfect.

8:40 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

awwwww. can i come over and revisit those days? Bigirl used to go 'shopping' while I sat on the couch and vegged. I would tell her to go and buy something blue or something square. Playing store was fun as well.

sigh.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Blog said...

LOL! That's adorable. I love it when the monkey plays with dolls. She's not that interested in her baby doll and stroller, but she does feed it a play bottle. She's been really into trains.... :)

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love pretend play. and those pics...are terrific.

oh, and so are those jeans, sister.

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My two year old son is obssessed with making sure the everyone sees what he is doing. He calls out "MOMMMY" "DADDY" over and over again until we are all watching him and he does a jump or a dance. It is the funniest thing!

10:07 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

I love the pretend play, too. Pumpkinpie has been big on feeding us and her doggie and taking her "baby" (the doggie) for walks and so on for some time. The plastic food is a big fave. I was planning to give her a doll and snowsuit for it for christmas, but she ran out of steam with the presents and had lots, so now she'll get it at her birthday in a couple of months with a summer outfit.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yesterday I got home to pretend boiled eggs and tea. I love watching them when they are so busy at play.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Play-doh + dishes = toddler's mind blown. Try it if you dare. Also, it's better to name the dolls before tney do. Josephine's doll is "Baby Naked Farty", "Missy" for short. Every thing is called "Missy" for short.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.