metro mama

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Metro Reco: Black Swan Green

I’ve had David Mitchells’s Booker Prize finalist, Black Swan Green, sitting by my bed for months. It kept getting put off in favour of the big guns, like Alice Munro and Margaret Atwood’s latest. Dudes, this book was surprise treat. I loved it.

Set in 1982, Black Swan Green is a year in the life of Jason Taylor, pre-teen poet trying to fit in with his peers in a tough little town in Worcestershire. His life isn’t made any easier by a speech impediment, a growing interest in girls, and his parents’ struggling marriage.

Black Swan Green is sweet, subtle, and poignant; Jason Taylor is the most endearing character I’ve met in a long time. The 80’s references bring you back to the days of slow-dancing in the gymnasium.

David Mitchell lives in Ireland. His second novel, number9dream (2001), was short-listed for the 2002 Booker Prize. His third novel, Cloud Atlas, was shortlisted in 2004.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you loved this book! I felt the very same way - that the book is a sweet, pitch perfect look at the life of a thirteen-year-old boy.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good read, I will have to pick up a copy.

My Kids Furniture

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good (saw it recommended on another site also) so I must add this to the ever growing pile of books I haven't read yet (some day, some day I will read you my pretties).

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't heard of this one, and it sounds right up my alley. Will have to see if I can fit it in between all the gothic horror novels I will be reading for my course.

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm adding need to read more to my make no New Year's resolutions list.

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed "Black Swan Green." And as a fellow fan of Munro and Atwood, I'm going to recommend Claire Messud's "The Emperor's Children" to you. Read it this vacation and enjoyed it. I think you will too.

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.