metro mama

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Surrounded By Idiots

I think Cakes’ teachers think she has a couple of idiots for parents.

Her preschool always has these lovely activities planned, which McHotty and I always manage to screw up. Many of the other parents went all out for Halloween and Christmas--we did nada (who the hell has time to make individual goodie bags for 20 kids? Well, obviously, lots of people do). I barely managed to remember to do her Valentines last month. I always forget about pajama day. So I’m just being consistent when I fuck up Easter.

There was a note in her locker a couple of days ago asking us to bring in a hard-boiled egg, and some treats for her teachers to hide for an Easter hunt. Cakes is staying home with her Grandma today, so we had to send the treats yesterday. McHotty and I went shopping the other night, and bought a big bag of jujube bunnies (because we like jujubes), but when we got them home, my mother pointed out that since they’re unwrapped, they’d be hard to hide around the classroom. Oops. Oh well, a little lint never stopped a toddler from eating a candy.

I managed to remember to boil the egg. Luckily, we had a single egg left in the fridge. I put it on to boil, and sat down with my book. A half an hour later, McHotty discovered it on the stove--cracked of course. It was too late to buy more eggs, so we sent her with the cracked one, and pretended it happened on the way. Oh, shame on us.

McHotty took her to school yesterday, and managed to remember to take the big bag of jujubes. Unfortunately, he neglected to give them to her teachers, and left them in her knapsack. Cakes didn’t forget about them. During naptime, she smuggled them into her cot and handed them out surreptitiously. That’s my girl--not even three and giving out contraband goodies on the sly.

When I picked Cakes up at the end of the day, I was a star. Several toddlers surrounded me excitedly: “hi Cakes’ mommy! Cakes’ mommy! Candy! Yeah, Cakes’ mommy!” Oy.

I will be buying her teachers a very nice Christmas present this year.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Run ANC said...

I was going to do something for Easter for the preschool, but I'm still tired from Valentine's (they sent a note home basically saying we had to do Valentine's for everyone). I gave myself an out for Easter on the theory that not everyone celebrates it.

1:12 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

Whew thanks for making me feel better. Easter snuck up on me this year. I got to daycare today to discover that it totally escaped me. Ooops.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Mouse said...

I liked that Scooter's old preschool didn't observe anything officially. Some kids passed out Valentine's stuff, but it was entirely up to the parents. I tended to skip everything and then put try to put something themed together for Scooter's birthday (peat pots and seeds with Spring-y stickers last year).

I'm actually kind of surprised there would be an official observation of Easter. I'm letting my mother-in-law handle most of it; Trillian and I bought a little candy and happen to have a toy in an egg-shaped container, but she always wants to do much more than that. I'm hoping she'll be willing to use one of the (slightly beat up) baskets we already have instead of buying yet another one.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Sounds like something I'd do too! If I had been in your shoes I probably would have sent Chicky to school with old candy canes or stale Halloween candy.

5:53 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

You two are TOTALLY my kind of parents. I am comfortable that there are others like me.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Beck said...

I'm always forgetting stuff for my poor children... like, having them wear green on St. Patrick's Day, so the wee darlings were pinched all day.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

Oh, you make me feel NORMAL! I always feel like he idiot parent who can't get her shit together. LOL.

1:33 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

I am very impressed by the candy sneaking.

We belong to a coop so I am forever getting calls to bring things like a dozen boiled eggs. Who the hell has that on hand? it is driving me nuts.

Slackers unite!

3:51 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Easter was too early, and took everyone by surprise this year. I got off the subway on the way to a meeting to buy easter bunnies yesterday, then got back on!

And we often enough miss the special activities if it's a late morning for us and the things are in the morning. Enh. 'sokay.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were supposed to send treats for easter? Shit. Good thing my guy has a 2 week March break and we missed the whole thing.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Gidge Uriza said...

Oh man, they expect you to SEND stuff to school?
dammit.
I am never sending mine then. I have a hard enough time keeping them dressed and clean.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Tania said...

That is so going to be me when school starts.

4:54 PM  
Blogger sc@vp said...

LMAO - I wish we lived closer - we could comfort each other ...

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.