metro mama

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Whew!

It was an eventful week, and I’m just getting caught up on writing about it, so I guess I’ll just spew it all out in one big post.

The other day I had my first meeting at our downtown offices with a bunch of the Very Important People. I donned the sole suit in my closet, and left far too early (I’m obsessive about punctuality). I was a bundle of nerves. But once things were underway and I relaxed, it was quite exciting, and I had this epiphanic moment where it sunk in that I’ve actually finally found the right career. I can’t tell you what a pleasure it is to sit in a meeting where people are proud, and excited about their products. It is the complete opposite of the tortuous IT meetings I used to have to sit through, practically nodding off from boredom, only to be wakened by the CEO yelling at us. Seriously. It is lovely to sit in a room with people who are respectful and have a sense of humour.

After the meeting, I just wanted to go home and read all our books, but I needed to prepare for our student colloquium, which I helped organize. It was a two-day conference, and the topic was “Apocalypse”. I think it was a great success—the papers were fantastic, and we had folks come from several other universities, as far away as Montreal and Buffalo. Last night we finished with a speakers’ dinner, then we hit the pubs. Unfortunately shots of whisky were involved, and I’m paying for the good time today. The conference lessened my dissatisfaction with academia a little—the students were really inspiring—but it also really pissed me off, because no faculty bothered to show up. Not a single one. Our keynote speaker (who’s not from our university), attended the Friday night pub, two days of conference and the dinner last night. He even lasted through the shots. But not a single fucking member of our own faculty could make an appearance. It’s a shame. Nevertheless, it was a wonderful event.

So after all this gallivanting about, today I’m trying to make up for it with Cakes. She had a bit of a tough week—the first couple of weeks I worked, we had her grandparents here to help ease us into the new routine. This was the first week of the new ‘normal’ and Cakes was not happy. A couple of my days started with trying to flee the preschool while she clung to my leg, shrieking and crying. I had a huge case of mommy guilt. The other night Cakes solemnly declared, “I want you to stay home mommy.” So I explained to her, “mommy likes to go work babe. And it’s good for me.” She looked thoughtful, perhaps not 100% satisfied, but she accepted it. And then she asked me for a cookie. She’s not stupid—if she has a guilty mommy, she’s going to milk it for all it’s worth.

13 Comments:

Blogger Amy Urquhart said...

Just reading the word "whiskey" made me screw my face up, post-shot-style.

Sounds like things are really going great! Yay!

Assertagirl

3:19 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Man, I can't believe none of the faculty showed up to the colloquium! I wish I could've gone, but I already had other plans. Jaded though I am with grad school level English, I would've loved to see my friends present.

Wow, whiskey shots at the bar - hardcore!

Awww at the mommy guilt. But you have a right to be happy, too... she can't get her way all the time, and I'm glad she's getting closer to accepting it.

I'm so happy that you're happy with your new career path! That's inspiring to me. But then again, you usually always are inspiring to me. :)

9:52 PM  
Blogger moplans said...

She is a very smart girl.
I hate the crying drop off, even though I know she's perfectly happy within five minutes, it haunts me all day.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

The Boy had a tough time when I went back to work, and again when we switched daycare situations. It's bad for him, but he was fine shortly after I left. The guilt stayed with me all day though. It gets better.

11:24 PM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

you told her true. I like that.

12:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for loving your job and for the colloquium being over!

And I love what you said to Cakes. You rock.

8:52 PM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Good for you for explaining to Cakes. But there are those mornings, even for pumpkinpie on occasions, who's been at it for three years now, and they suck. Sometimes, they are just a little off a a little more sensitive. But I think Cakes is a tough cookie!

1:15 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

I'm so glad that you like your job - makes a huge difference, doesn't it?

And Cakes is a smartypants - I like her style.

10:15 AM  
Blogger petite gourmand said...

so glad you found a job that you can feel really passionate about.
Imagine having to leave cakes each day for one that you didn't?

she's a tough cookie and I'm sure she will adjust quickly.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I second Petite Gourmand! She'll eventually find her grove and allow you to enjoy yours.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

they learn to lay it on thick and milk things for all they're worth REALLY early, don't they?

1:58 PM  
Blogger Jenny, the Bloggess said...

You are an awesome mom.

Can I have a cookie?

4:57 PM  
Blogger b*babbler said...

Ooh... if she's this good now, wait for the teenage years. Oy!

Seriously though, congrats on finding the right career. I'm so happy for you...

Now off to find mine!

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.