metro mama

Monday, April 21, 2008

Weekend in the City

I’m feeling about 80% better now, and I had a lovely weekend. Friday night I went to a charity event for the Assaulted Women’s Helpline, a fantastic organization that provides a 24-hour crisis line for women. Sadly, they receive 50,000 calls per year. Such a high number, isn’t it? Want to help? Click here.

There were these fantastic belly dancers at the dinner, and I had an impromptu lesson.



In case you’re wondering, I’m the one on the right.

Saturday I had to ignore the gorgeous weather and hole up in my office to finish my last paper of the term. I was so resentful about being stuck inside, I wanted to throw up. I have really had it. I managed to finish by 5:00, and now I’m finally done for the term. I just have a three-credit course on the Bronte’s this summer, and then school’s out forever! Am I ever done.

Our next-door neighbours redeemed the Saturday for me. After I finished work, we headed to their patio for dinner. Cakes joined us for the first course. She really loves parties these days. We each had little plates of antipasto and Cakes nibbled hers so politely. She’s starting to have very good taste—we’d put some cheddar on her plate, but she ignored it and stole McHotty’s “party cheese” instead. She also swiped all of his olives. Cakes went to bed a seven, we plugged in the monitor, and enjoyed a nice steak dinner and a few bottles of wine in the backyard. Ah, summer’s back, and I’m happy happy happy.

Sunday we took Cakes to Riverdale Farm. If you’ve never been, you must go. It is fantastic there. We watched a cow being milked. The goats are pregnant—if you go in a month, there will be baby goats. It’s one of Cakes’ favourite places.

After the farm, we went to brunch for the first time in ages, at Leslie Jones. They have a great patio at the back, and were very welcoming to Cakes. We had this fabulous french toast, with ricotta cheese and caramelized pears. Mmm. Cakes was an angel. She will be three in a month, and I am really loving this age. She’s really talking well now, and she’s hilarious. You can take her out in public. She can walk a long time without getting tired. Anyone else finding it’s getting a hell of a lot easier?

13 Comments:

Blogger Amy Urquhart said...

Eating outdoors is really one of the best pleasures of summer in Ontario, isn't it?

I had lunch yesterday at Lil Baci at Queen & Logan. YUM.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Highwaisted said...

I need to visit. I havent seen cakes since the stitch and bitch and i think she was 1 or younger then. JEEZ.

9:57 AM  
Blogger motherbumper said...

Hey - look at you shimmy shimmy - you just need a veil (btw - did you know I bellydanced for six years before I moved here - yah, I know... hard to freakin' believe).

Anyhow - high five to the final stretch at school and to plenty of patio nights.

10:36 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Poor goats. Maybe I have to take Pumpkinpie there to break the news to her next week, and then let her go see the babies... I haven't been to the farm in a while! It was a gorgeous weekend for it, too, thoguh we did manage to build a garden out back and do lots of bike riding, so we did get so0me fun spring stuff in!

12:22 PM  
Blogger Run ANC said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend (minus the paper writing, of course, and the Bronte course sounds cool). I find that three IS easier, despite the tantrums. The Boy is really starting to be his own little person.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to know that Leslie Jones is kiddie friendly. We're planning to "go restauranting" with all three kiddies for the first time really soon.
Gotta get to Riverdale Farm again soon. It's one of the girls' favourite places. The last time we were there, we caught the cow milking too. Neener jumped up and shouted " I love udders! They're really cool!"
Cakes is what, three now? Great age, and yes, a lot easier. Enjoy it while it lasts, cuz four is a fresh hell.
We'll probably see you at the park one of these days sunny days!

2:26 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

ooh, love your dress!
i'm not sure if it's getting easier or not - i think i eradicated that possibility by having another one! luckily they're both great, so i haven't given up brunch or anything else. we just need a bigger table now.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

it's definitely getting easier. i love three.

and i love that chocolatey satiny thing you are wearing.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Jer said...

Good for you metro mama!
Great job getting those papers done; and having time out, too :)

10:50 PM  
Blogger b*babbler said...

I can't wait for it to get easier. After months of being able to take Peanut out we had the dinner from hell Saturday night. It was B-A-D.

It gets better... right? Right? RIGHT???!?!

Friday was a blast - I can't believe I missed the belly dancing moment though!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

I love Riverdale Farm -- but I haven't been there in, um, 10 years or so? (Can it be that long--longer!--since I lived in the Big Smoke? Wow.)

Looks like you've got some cooool moves on the 'floor. But then, I knew that ;-)

7:57 PM  
Blogger Beck said...

It gets SO much easier that whenever we get to the Hey, Life Is Suddenly Bearable part, we throw our heads away and get pregnant again.

9:37 AM  
Blogger moplans said...

I was just thinking what beck said. Be careful!

That photo is great.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.