metro mama

Friday, November 03, 2006

Career Student

I’ve been a student for a very long time now, and I’ve gone to almost every kind of school: college, then IT school; I’ve spent the last seven years doing my undergrad. What’s next? Grad school, of course. Yes, I’ve decided to apply, and will hopefully start working (part-time) on an M.A. in English next year. I’m going to apply to both the big ugly box in the North, as well as the Oxford wannabe in the South. Assuming I’m accepted to both, I’m leaning towards the latter—mostly because I did my undergrad in the first and would prefer to do teacher’s college at the second. Also, the second option is much closer to my house (not a small consideration). However, I would appreciate any of your thoughts on this!

In other school daze news, I got an A on that philosophy paper I asked for your help on a few weeks ago. The prof really liked it—she mentioned it to the class and commented on the “smart women” who responded on my blog. You sure are smart. Thank-you so much for all your great responses.

(If you’re interested, you can read the paper here.)

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger moplans said...

Hey Congrats on the "A".
I'm a fan of the wannabe for various reasons. I think the MA would help you get into the teacher's college there.
I sat in on the admissions reading of the applicant profiles as one of two students so I can give you some pointers but it was a few years ago so maybe some things have changed.
Are you applying for next sept?

9:07 AM  
Blogger metro mama said...

Hi Lisa,

I'd appreciate the pointers!

I'm applying for Sept but I may end up starting with a half-course in January since we may get a chance to travel in the fall (that's a post coming soon!)

9:15 AM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

Oh congratulations Metro! I will crack taht paper tonight over a glass of vino...

9:23 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Oh, congrats! If it slow tonight, I'll read that paper, otherwise perhaps I'll print it for reading at home on the couch.

I must say my compeltely basless impression is that the south has more prestige and could open more doors for you if you want to do more postgrad study. That said, I think the size of it is a bit alienating - I personally feel affinity only for my faculty, not the whole, after doing my master's there. (But then I went to Trent for udnergrad, so I'm used to small!) But again, I don't know how the northern school compares.

I also think transportation and commute time is no small consideration. it's hard to get up north unless you always have a car at your disposal, and its nice to be able to spend more time with your babe and less in traffic.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I can not offer an opinion as to which school you should go to since I am not familiar with either the great box or the Oxford wannabe. I agree with kittenpie that the commute is a big deal.

Congrats on the A. I did read the paper after you sent it to me and was very excited to see myself quoted. I feel famous!

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read your paper and my vote if for Oxford-like South for the same as KittenPie - completely baseless impression of prestige.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed with your paper and an A no less. Top marks! You obviously excel at being a career student.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Congrats on that A! And good luck with those grad school apps.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Exciting news about grad school. And a huge congrats on the A!

See you tonight :)

9:56 AM  
Blogger Marsha Loftis said...

I finished with my BS in 2004...I want to go forward and work on my masters degree but the thought of homwwork again...well I just don't think I could bear it. Good luck to you

12:01 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

will definitely read the paper. i say, go south young woman.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Picking schools is hard, and other than the convenience factors (ie commute times), I say pick somewhere you really like the faculty because that can make all the difference. I don't have a MA but even an undergrad thesis was so much better when it was being supervised by a prof who gave a crap. Just my two cents. Good luck with the applications!

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.