metro mama

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Is Canada Reading?

Last night was book club night and it was our best turnout yet! Despite everyone not loving the book, we had a lot to say about it (well, we had a lot to say period, some of which can’t be repeated here). I’m so glad we started doing this. The time flies by so easily, it’s great to have a standing date with pals. Next month we’re dong JPod, by Douglas Coupland and I can’t wait to hear what people have to say about it!

Is anyone following Canada Reads? As you know, this year’s well-deserved winner is Lawrence Hill’s The Book of Negroes. I’m not a big historical fiction reader, but this one swept me away, and it is indeed a book everyone should read.

You can talk about the book at CBC’s book club, here. They also have an excerpt, author bio and reader’s guide.

Our book club is looking for suggestions for summer. Anyone have some fab reads to recommend?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger kittenpie said...

I'm glad we're doing it, too! Not only do I get to see a bunch of great people every month, but I have a good reason to force myself to find the time to read one book among the baby chaos - motivation I need and am happy for. Thanks, Metro!

1:30 AM  
Blogger Don Mills Diva said...

God knows if I will finally make a meeting but I actually loved thsi month's book. I have spent some time in East Africa and have a keen interest in that area and its history so I was fascinated...

9:29 AM  
Blogger crazymumma said...

my blog.

hahahahahaha

8:25 PM  
Blogger Jer said...

Guess i'll have to finish reading The Book of Negros now.

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.